Whitening mouthwashes are oral care products designed to help reduce surface stains on teeth and enhance the overall whiteness of your smile. They might not be as effective in removing stains as getting a professional cleaning done but are a good whitening method to try at home.
With this list of powerful and pleasant whitening mouthwashes, you may get a brighter smile. Say goodbye to stains and discoloration and hello to a dazzling, confident grin.
Here are the 10 best whitening mouthwashes:
- Habbits Teeth-Whitening Natural Mouthwash
- Oral Essentials Teeth Whitening Mouthwash
- Daybreak Restore Mouthwash
- Himalaya Active Fresh Mint Mouthwash
- BIOMED Complete Care Citrus
- Listerine® Total Care Mouthwash
- Teeth-a-bit Multiprotection wash Bits
- Clohex Mouthwash
- Oralvit Probiotic Anti-Plaque Mouthwash
- Oromust Mouthwash
This teeth-whitening mouthwash is packed with natural ingredients like activated charcoal, papain enzymes (papaya extract), and bromelain enzymes (pineapple extract), to gently whiten the teeth and eliminate stains. It also contains Vitamin C, E, and probiotics, promoting a healthy oral microbiome. There’s also Nano-Hydroxyapatite and Hyaluronic acid which help remineralize enamel and fight plaque, while the refreshing peppermint & spearmint provides a fresh breath.
- Removes teeth stains and whitens teeth gently.
- Enriched with vitamins and probiotics for a healthy oral microbiome.
- Contains Nano-Hydroxyapatite for enamel remineralization.
- Hyaluronic Acid fights plaque and acts as an anti-gingivitis agent.
- Vegan-friendly, cruelty-free, and toxin-free.
- Safe to use and FDCA (Food and Drugs Control Administration) approved.
- Charcoal particles may be abrasive in the long run.
- Not suitable for children under 12 years of age.
A non-burn mouthwash, which some users exclaimed about. It is an alcohol-free mouthwash that uses Dead Sea Salt, Lemon oil, sage oil, and coconut oil. It claims to whiten teeth without sensitivity. This brand states that 30-60 days time is needed to see the whitening results.
- Claims remove coffee tea smoke stains.
- Suitable for people with sensitivity.
- Alcohol-free solution.
- Suitable for people looking for natural whitening mouthwash.
- Very expensive.
- Dead sea salt may be abrasive on enamel in the long run.
Contains the goodness of zinc, copper, and magnesium along with natural ingredients like aloe vera and L-arginine. This mouthwash claims to be zero toxins, alcohol-free, and vegan-friendly. It claims to remove plaque and stains thus whitening the teeth.
- Zinc copper magnesium removes plaque and prevents stain formation.
- L-arginine helps prevent cavities.
- Aloe vera keeps the gum moist.
- Suitable for people with dry mouth and thus prone to staining.
- Some users found it cost-effective.
- An unpleasant taste.
Claims to be a natural and ayurvedic mouthwash. The main ingredient is papain enzyme derived from papaya which is known to remove stains. States to provide a fresh minty breath. Claims to kill 99.9% of bacteria.
- Helps remove stains.
- Alcohol-free, chemical-free.
- Provide a fresh breath.
- Reduces plaque and cavities.
- Improves gum health.
- Natural ingredients might not be suitable for some people.
A new brand in the market that claims to not only whiten the teeth but also to provide complete oral care. It uses all-natural ingredients, one of which is bromelain which helps prevent plaque and stains from forming. It claims to be suitable for ages above 6 years.
- Claims to gently remove stains.
- Helps with enamel remineralization.
- Prevents cavities.
- Improves gum conditions.
- Claims to provide Fresh breath.
- The effects of natural ingredients in teeth whitening need more studies.
Compared to previous alcohol-containing Listerine this one is alcohol-free and mainly contains essential oils and fluoride. The essential oil helps remove tartar and plaque, a contributing factor to stains. This product promises to give complete oral care.
- Prevents stain by preventing plaque formation.
- Some users mentioned a fresh feeling in the mouth.
- Helps with gum health.
- Some users even stated that it helps with tartar removal.
- Some individuals found essential oils irritating to the mouth.
A new dry herbal mouthwash in the form of mouthwash bits containing activated charcoal as the major ingredient. It is a waterless, and eco-friendly oral care product with natural plant-based extracts and flavors for teeth whitening. It comes in a leak-proof glass container.
- Helps with teeth whitening.
- Eco-friendly option.
- One mouthwash bit is equivalent to 1-1.2 liters of liquid mouthwash, offering the same efficacy in a compact size.
- Simply pop a mouthwash bit in your mouth, take a sip of water, swish for 45-60 seconds, and the tablet dissolves providing the same mouthwash effect.
- Some users may need time to get used to this.
- Expensive as only 60 tablets are provided in one bottle.
- Not for Individuals with sensitive teeth.
An antiseptic antiplaque solution that can help with teeth whitening. It contains chlorhexidine which helps kill the plaque-causing bacteria and provides you with white teeth and fresh breath.
- Helps prevent plaque formation.
- Prevents teeth staining.
- Prevents harmful bacteria.
- Not for long-term use.
- Can affect the healthy bacteria in the mouth.
This mouthwash is an antiplaque probiotic solution that can help gently whiten the teeth without harming the oral microbiome. It claims to be chemical-free and uses thyme as the main ingredient which also helps with maintaining gum health and giving the users an overall fresh feeling.
- Helps with whitening by removing plaque.
- Maintains good bacterial health intact.
- Alcohol and other chemical-free.
- Helps prevent gum disease.
- Provides good breath.
- Thyme can cause irritation for some individuals.
An antiplaque mouthwash with natural ingredients to help remove plaque and stain formation thereby whitening the teeth. This alcohol-free solution can also help with bad breath and dry mouth thus providing overall oral care.
- Removes plaque.
- Prevents stains.
- Helps whiten teeth.
- Provide fresh breath.
- Suitable for people with dry mouth.
- Also, helps reduce bad breath-causing bacteria.
- Whitening results may require long-term use.
- Natural ingredients may cause irritation to some people.
How does whitening mouthwash work?
The ones containing activated charcoal absorb the stain-forming particles and prevent their attachment to the enamel.
Essential oils help moisten the oral cavity and prevent stain-forming bacteria to grow.
Other ingredients like zinc help prevent plaque and tartar formation, which usually forms the base for stains to stick on.
Is whitening mouthwash safe to use?
Because some whitening mouthwashes contain abrasive particles and these can erode enamel surface if used for long.
Also, some mouthwashes can disrupt the healthy oral microbe status when used for long.
How long does it take to see results with whitening mouthwash?
It will require many weeks to get the whitening effect but the results noticed are very minimal compared to professional cleaning.
Can I use whitening mouthwash if I have sensitive teeth?
The finest whitening mouthwashes successfully brighten teeth and improve oral hygiene, providing a simple and quick option for a brighter smile. Over time, regular usage might provide obvious improvements.
Depending on whitening mouthwash should always be the last resort to get rid of stains. Firstly Avoid food and habits that cause staining. Secondly, form a proper oral hygiene routine to prevent any stain formation, and most important visit your dentist and stay informed.